It's only a text update for this week as I'm going to start doing something a little different with the live streams next week.
The idea behind the live streams was to record each one and share it to YouTube as a development diary. Unfortunately, I think that this idea isn't great as it means people have to sit through an up to 2 hour long video every day to see what I've been doing. So, I've decided to condense the live streams down into a weekly "dev vlog" that I'll upload to YouTube every Saturday staring next week.
This week I spent some time redesigning the sprites for enemies, player and bosses. I wanted to move away from the Master System-ish look that the game had previously and more towards an 80's arcade style look.It still requires a bit of work, but it's getting there.
The game now has three properly working levels with the game getting progressively more difficult through each one. The idea is to include 10 levels with a boss at the end of nine of them until you reach the "super boss" on the final stage. The enemy spawn rate still requires some tuning to keep the game engaging without letting the difficulty get too hard on the earlier stages.
I started working on the ground levels, but I've not found an elegant way of incorporating them into the level design yet, so they've been shelved for the moment. The code is in the game, but there's nothing to trigger them just yet.
Okay, so that's it for this week. Now I'm off to play Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu!